Saturday 1 November 2014

Tridactylogasm

Three-toed Woodpecker Picoides tridactylus
Amazing views of a female THREE-TOED WOODPECKER Picoides tridactylus today in Trnovski gozd. First I heard it feeding, then I got closer and found it working a dead silver fir Abies alba. It wasn't disturbed by my presence and so it allowed close views for at least 45 minutes. It sometimes called shortly and also drummed once. Video below and here.
Three-toed Woodpecker habitat
Lots of other common birds in the forest, including a Nutcracker Nucifraga caryocatactes & Black Woodpecker Dryocopus martius.
At dusk a TENGMALM'S OWL Aegolius funereus delivered two short calls (squirrel-like), while an unexpected WOODCOCK Scolopax rusticola made a short flight above a forest glade. This was my first Woodcock after several years (3 or 4 maybe), so I was quite glad to see one.
All in all an excellent day in one of my favourite places.
Good night