Wednesday 4 December 2013

Alpine Accentor

Believe it or not, the above bird is an Alpine Accentor (phone-scoped)
This afternoon while hoping to find a Wallcreeper on the cliffs above the Glinščica valley (Trieste) I saw a smart ALPINE ACCENTOR which was my first of the season. It's always a pleasure to see this little alpine bird, feeding on the rocky slopes of the Karst. I checked if there were any more, but I could only see one single bird.
On the cliffs no Wallcreeper was found, but instead I witnessed some amazing behaviour performed by 3 Short-toed Treecreepers. They were doing exactly what a Wallcreeper does - climbing on a cliff face. Pity they were the wrong creepers.
Other birds I managed to see this afternoon included 2 Black Woodpeckers (1 female showing well), Crested Tit, Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Raven, Siskin, Rock Bunting and an unusual flock of 20 Greylag Geese migrating SE high above the valley.