Sunday, 23 December 2012

Weekend

It's been a calm weekend. Nothing really out of the ordinary. Yesterday evening I went to check the local pair of EAGLE OWLS that nest just of of the town of Trieste - the male was singing for at least half an hour, but I couldn't see it perching on the rocks. Also two Great Grey Shrikes on the Slovenian Karst were of note (see pic above).

Local patch: this morning I had a look at the sea, which was quite calm and foggy. Out of Grignano I had a distant male COMMON EIDER; probably the same bird seen here a few weeks ago. On the sea also 2 Red-necked Grebes, 1 Great Crested Grebe, a group of 4 Black-necked Grebes (Grignano), 2 Black-throated Divers in front of Miramare's castle, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Cormorant and a few Sandwich Terns.
Earlier in the morning I woke up with a Buzzard perched on the chimney in front of my window:
This is probably the same old wintering bird that we used to see perched like a hen on the roofs, trees, tv aerials and poles in the past years.
Nice to see you back!