Monday, 5 March 2012

A White Stork in spring


Local patch: this morning I managed to pull out yet another patch-tick - WHITE STORK! At 12.53 am while checking the sky from my terrace, the stork materialised for some seconds above the karstic ridge, before flying over the tree-line. It seemed to be heading eastwards. Well, that's my first White Stork of the year and as I said a new bird for the local patch (sp. number 147). Quite odd I haven't seen it before...
At the same time also a female Sparrowhawk and the usual two Common Buzzards were enjoying the heat thermal over the wood.
Earlier in the morning I also had 4 Jackdaws flying south over Barcola - an irregular bird here in my patch, with just a handful of records in total. Butterflies included several Brimstones (lovely!) and a Large Tortoiseshell.
Pic above taken in Slovenia