Sunday, 11 December 2011

On the seaside




Local patch: a lazy morning spent between Barcola and Miramare-Grignano, looking for something new on the coast. Despite the bad visibility (overcast and very misty) I did manage to see a few things offshore: 2 Red-necked Grebes (one at Miramare, the other in the bay of Grignano - see first two pics above), 2 Black-necked Grebes around Barcola and 3 off Grignano (last pic above), 1 Cormorant (over Barcola), 1 Kingfisher and 1 Black-throated Diver. Strangely enough no sign of the two Red-throated Divers... In the bay of Grignano I also found the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, this time resting on the mussle-cultivation buoys with other Yellow-legged Gulls. The difference of the back colour is really striking at distance (see pic below - LBB is on the right). I'm wondering to which of the three subspecies it belongs... But I must say I'm not a gull-lover, so I don't think I'll try to work out its true identity by myself.