Tuesday, 29 November 2011

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL returns



Local patch: this morning a LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was present in the small bay of Miramare within a flock of Yellow-legged and Black-headed Gulls. I presume it's the same old returning individual from the past years (a post with pics from last year can be found here). Now it is annualy recorded in the area between Barcola and Miramare, favouring the latter area. I remember I saw my first Lesser Black-back right there in 2005, so there's a possibility this is the same one... This time I managed just a few poor photos in bad light (above).
The 2 Red-throated Divers were also still around, getting quite close to the shore and giving close-up views (pic below). Otherwise quite poor on the sea, with only 1 Black-necked Grebe and the usual Shags.
A fine adult male GOSHAWK gave additional interest. I spotted it soaring over the woodland of Monte Grisa - it then rose quite high up and disappeared northwards. At first it gave quite close views, when it was still low over the coast.