Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Bluethroat for tea time


Škocjanski zatok NR: at mid afternoon (16.20hrs) I finished my university affairs in Koper and was soon on the reserve doing some birding on the way home. A bit of autumn bird movement here too. The best I could get was a Bluethroat that I glimpsed on the edge of the big reedbed area. It took off from the ground at the base of the reeds, then landed again nearby. Before it disappeared into the thick vegetation I glimpsed a big, prominent supercillium, reddish tail sides and its characteristic hopping on the ground. Nice! So they're still around...
I didn't have the scope with me so I couldn't identify more distant waders. Other birds included: 25 Greenshanks, 500-2000 Starlings (especially on the grazing marsh), 1 Green Sandpiper, 3 Water Rails (1 "histerically" hopping and flapping the wings on the reedbed's edge... not very camouflaging!), 3 Skylarks (flew overhead), several Penduline Tits, 2 Yellow Wagtails, 4 Snipes, small flocks of Reed Buntings (back to the wetland after a while), Linnet, 1 Reed/Marsh Warbler, 2 Chiffchaffs, 1 Tree Pipit (overhead), about 20 Shovelers, 2 Pygmy Corms, 1 Lapwing, 2 JACKDAWS (landed in the freshwater marsh), 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Meadow Pipit (overhead), 1 Serin, 5 Stonechats and 2 Whinchats on the wired fencing by the grazing marsh.
Above pic is from Hungary (taken in May 2011)