Thursday, 27 October 2011

Autumn Moustache

Škocjanski zatok NR: spent just half an hour on the reserve this afternoon, checking the reedbed. Within few minutes from my arrival on site I heard a weak warbler-ish song coming from the reeds. So I tried to "pish the bird out"...and luckily it materialised on the top of a reed: a handsome Moustached Warbler! Yes! It gave excellent and close views for some seconds, then disappeared again. That's the first time I see a Moustached in autumn.
Nearby also a Water Rail was showing very well, along with some Reed Buntings.

On Monday I was pleased to see a Hen Harrier flying over the rooftops of the town of Koper (SLO), heading W.

Local patch - an update from the past few days: 2-3 Black Redstarts now on a daily basis in the garden (females mostly), along with Chiffchaff, Dunnock (heard only), Blackcap. On the sea 1 Sandwich Tern and 1 Med Gull on Tuesday. Also a Grey Wagtail is lingering in the area (usually heard, flying overhead). Few days ago it landed on a rooftop and showed well. Chaffinch and Robin numbers are increasing in the gardens. I'll have to put out the birdfeeder soon!

Tomorrow I'll be back in Škocjanski zatok for the weekly count, so more updates to come!